4. The resin is poured thickly and is left to harden.
5. The excess resin is slowly sanded back to reveal the pattern underneath
2. Each piece of bone or mother of pearl is carved by hand
3. Each piece is laid in the pattern
Bone Inlay and Mother of Pearl
The art of bone inlay is specific to the Rajasthan region of India. This meticulous skill is handed down from generation to generation. Three craftsmen are employed to make a piece of Inlay furniture: the first hand-carves camel bone into delicate shapes; the second affixes the bone pieces onto a wooden frame in intricate patterns; while the third fills in around the bone with the coloured resin background. The entire process takes around 3 weeks.
As with all things made by hand, these pieces are all unique and small flaws may be present, which adds to the intrinsic character and beauty of each piece
To clean your bone inlay furniture, wipe with a slightly damp cloth. Bone Inlay furniture has a porous surface, so items in high-use situations - such as coffee tables - should be sealed prior to use. Grout sealant (available from any hardware store) is suitable for this task.
6. The frame and drawers are painted
1. The frame and drawers are made